The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) can help eligible New Yorkers heat and cool their homes.
If you are eligible, you may receive one regular HEAP benefit per program year and could also be eligible for emergency HEAP benefits if you are in danger of running out of fuel or having your utility service shut off.
The 2023-2024 Regular HEAP benefit is scheduled to open on November 1, 2023.
If you are eligible, you may receive one regular HEAP benefit per program year to help you pay for heating your home.
Eligibility and benefits are based on:
- household size
- the primary heating source, and
- the presence of a household member who is under age 6, age 60 or older or permanently disabled
Your household may be eligible for a Regular benefit if
- A member of your household is a United States Citizen or Qualified Non-Citizen
- Your household’s gross monthly income is at or below the current income guides for your household size as posted in the table below or
- You receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits or
- You receive Temporary Assistance (TA) or
- You receive Code A Supplemental Security Income (SSI Living Alone)
To learn more about HEAP
Visit the HEAP website: https://otda.ny.gov/programs/heap/
Download a HEAP application: https://otda.ny.gov/programs/apply/#heap