Protect yourself and your family from carbon monoxide

mom hugs daughter with father to her side

With the heating season upon us, NYSEG offers a few safety tips to keep you and your family safe from the dangers of carbon monoxide:

  • Are you feeling okay? Exposure to carbon monoxide can cause flu-like symptoms, including headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea and loss of muscle control or worse.
  • Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is the product of incomplete combustion. Carbon monoxide poisoning can happen in a matter of minutes.
  • Protection is as easy as having your heating system, chimney, flues and vents checked *once a year by a professional.
  • Install a carbon monoxide alarm.
  • If you suspect a natural gas leak or carbon monoxide problem, get up, get out and get away! Then call us immediately at 1-800-572-1121 or 911 from a safe location. We’ll respond quickly to make sure you and your family are safe.

Thank you for taking the time to review this information. Please visit the NYSEG website for more information about how to protect yourself and your family against carbon monoxide.

*If you have your natural gas furnace tuned up by a professional, you may be eligible to receive a $25 rebate.